Turbovortex cyclone technology
EN303-V certification for biomass boilers
Our target: EN303 - class V certification for a biomass boiler
Combustion is a complex phenomenon. The output of this violent reaction is, in the first instance, heat; at the same time a number of by-products and waste products may be produced: in many cases these may be harmful to humans and the surrounding environment.
For these reasons, the consumer and civil segments have been influenced by the thermal accounting mechanism (2013) that, in relation to biomass, encourages small interventions (powers of less than 1 MW of heat) for producing thermal energy from renewable sources and high efficiency systems (art. 4, paragraph 2 of the decree).
For biomass boilers, the calculation is based on the product of 4 factors:
- Valorization factor;
- Thermal power of the plant;
- Estimated operating hours;
- Dust emission reward coefficient (for pellet/wood burning stoves and fireplaces, the equations is slightly more complex).
As you can see, point 4 is strongly influenced by the chosen emission treatment system and two different situations may be considered:
- For plants with powers < 500 kW: the generator must be certified on the test bench according to class V limits (EN 303-5:2012).
- For plants with powers between 500 kW and 1 MW: the emissions must be certified according to class V limits (EN 303-5:2012), and the emissions test has to be performed on site by an accredited body.
For this reason this customer requested Tecnosida® to develop a dust treatment system that would bring their products within the above mentioned limits, in a definitive and structured way.
Tecnosida® solution: partnership project with Turbovortex® technology
Tecnosida® accepted the request and offered to develop a project in partnership with the customer, in order to design and produce a dedicated solution for the boiler that the customer intended to certify.
The main project phases were:
- Theoretical evaluation of the technical situation;
- Presentation of an overview of solutions with budgetary quote;
- Choice and division of the responsibilities;
- Physical testing of the abatement equipment (multicyclone based on Turbovortex® technology), with the generator to be certified;
- Final tuning;
- Certification of the generator together with the Turbovortex® multicyclone.
The partnership was successful and the 400 kW boiler obtained the class V certification, thanks to the use of Turbovortex® technology.
Contact Tecnosida to receive specific advice adhering to your technical situation!
Turbovortex cyclone technology / Info Request
Send here technical requirements, for proposal or proposals for collaboration, we are committed to respond within 24 hours.
TURBOVORTEX® | Multi-cyclones separators: The Turbovortex® tangential separation technology has been shown to reach the limits required for the purpose of approval to EN 303 Class V powered generators solid biomass